Veterinary Medical Center of Long Island Careers
Careers > Customer Service Supervisor
Customer Service Supervisor: Posted on 12/23/13
The Customer Service Supervisor is responsible for the recruiting, screening, training, and managing of the customer service department and operation and organization of the front desk and phone control room. This individual will resolve difficult issues and client complaints and personnel conflict within their department and the facility as whole where related to client issues. You will work closely with the management team and report directly to the Hospital Administrator and Hospital Supervisor in his absence. You will be charged with policy innovation and implementation for all customer service personnel in accordance with the hospitals mission, vision and values. This individual must poses exemplary communication skills and be driven to succeed in a fast paced and actively growing environment. The ideal candidate will have the desire to deliver an incredible and unsurpassable customer experience. In order to succeed in this endeavor, a successful candidate will display the following characterizes:
- Motivated with Positivity
- Goal Oriented
- Extremely Organized
- Team Player
- Knowledge and enthusiasm in the veterinary referral field
- Experience with Impromed Infinity software is plus
Medical, dental, disability, 401k with match available
Commensurate with experience
Qualified Candidates must poses a minimum associate's degree and 6+ years of related experience in customer service leadership and training. Also necessary is experience in MS Outlook and Excel.
Title: Customer Service Supervisor
Exempt Status: Non-Exempt
Position Status: FT
Reports to: Hospital Administrator (HA), Hospital Supervisor, Owners
Works closely with: Client Care Coordinators,Triage Assistants, Hospital Administrator, Hospital Supervisor, Clinicians, and Owners
Direct Reports: Client Care Coordinators, Triage assistants
VMCLI's Conformance Statements:
In the performance of their respective tasks and duties all employees are expected to conform to the following:
- Perform quality work within deadlines with or without direct supervision.
- Interact professionally with other employees, customers and suppliers.
- Work effectively as a team contributor on all assignments.
- Work independently while understanding the necessity for communicating and coordinating work efforts with other employees and organizations.
In conjunction with the Hospital Administrator, the CSS is responsible for ensuring that high quality client care services are being offered to customers, including but not limited to visitors, veterinary clients, animals, and staff. The CSS ensures that VMCLI's Customer Service Standards, policies & procedures are being met by all Clerical Personnel alike. The CCS must always maintain a happy and professional demeanor. This person is not only a supervisor but is someone who provides services at the front lines within the practice, acting as a role model to all clerical staff.
The following is a list of essential job requirements. This list may be revised at any time and additional duties not listed here may be assigned as needed. Job Functions and Job Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
Supervision & Performance of Client Services & External Relations
- Ensures that all clerical employees adhere to Customer Service Standards and VMCLI policies & procedures.
- Ensures that every employee who comes into direct contact with visitors is playing their role as educators and are well informed and well versed about all of VMCLI services.
- Oversees and ensures that the highest quality client services are offered to all clients, visitors, callers, and email inquiries (internal and external) alike.
- Handles Customer complaints professionally and finds diplomatic resolutions.
- Initiates, supports and implements quality improvement programs and culture.
- Participates in strategic planning with Hospital Administrator and other Supervisors to enhance customer service standards
- Recognizes outstanding staff performance, initiative, and innovation by informing the HA.
- Provides constructive feedback to the HA on matters of staff performance in regards to customer care, efficiency and compliance.
- Communicates constantly with the HA through weekly meetings.
- Instills teamwork amongst the clerical staff and other departments.
- Ensures the Client patient process is a positive and mutually beneficial experience by doing up to and including, keeping clients informed of expected waiting time if there are any delays, quickly understanding the client's needs and initiate the process of meeting those needs, helping clients complete forms, and, last but not least, educating clients on responsible pet ownership.
- Maintains and exhibits a compassionate attitude towards all people and animals at all times.
- Communicates new policies and keeps staff and volunteers updated regularly on customer service standards and information through written and verbal means.
- Maintains a clean, pleasant and enjoyable environment for all clients, visitors, staff & animals. Upholds clerical dress code
- As required, work with VMCLI staff and administration on a variety of projects
- Maintains positive internal working relationships with all department employees by communicating in a professional manner.
- Ensures that all necessary supplies are stocked and ordered for the front desk.
- Acts as a role model and ensures that all clerical employees answer the phone in a courteous, prompt manner and provides customer assistance on a range of issues from animal admissions, questions about VMCLI services, etc.
- Ensures that voice mail is checked and responded to in a timely manner according to VMCLI's Customer Service Standards.
- Make follow-up calls to clients after services have been provided to see how things are going.
- Ensures that client appointments are being made properly, in conjunction with the HA.
- Keeps a positive, cheerful working environment
Supervision & Maintenance of Documentation
- Monitors Impromed reports.
- Ensures and monitors all paperwork & Impromed records to ensure they are properly entered and maintained, such as invoices, estimates, and medical charges.
- Reports all required statistics and information to the HA.
- Becomes familiar with our clients and patients, as well as any pertinent medical information necessary.
- Adheres to and supervises employee's compliance of policies & procedures.
- Verifies that the reception and waiting areas are neat and clean at all times.
- Always maintains personal appearance neat, professional and clean.
- Ensures the Desk is kept stocked, that is neat and clean and that all items are properly labeled (when applicable).
- Handles monetary transactions with clients and provides receipts accordingly.
- Keeps cash/checks, etc. secure at all times.
- May need to make cash deposits and handle banking issues if requested
- Processes client paperwork, and other necessary paperwork for appropriate departments.
- Responsible for payroll time records and modifications for all applicable Personnel
- Scheduling CCC's and TA's
- Monitoring vacation and sick time for CCC's in accordance with VMCLI policies and procedures.
- Clerical Hiring, assessment, and termination in conjunction with HA & HR department Policies
- Annual performance appraisals administration and drafting for all CCC's and TA's
- Performance improvement plan administration and drafting
- Ensures proper handling of scheduled appointments
- General bookkeeping and accounts client AR.
- High School Degree or equivalent, some college preferred
- Minimum of 5 years supervising experience
- Computer and data entry experience
- Minimum of 5 years in customer service management
- Excellent leadership, teamwork and assertiveness skills.
- Ability to lead and supervise staff, in conjunction with other supervisors.
- Ability to work efficiently with limited supervision.
- Concern and respect for animals and people and a belief in the benefits of strong human/animal bonds.
- Ability to maintain composure and excel in a fast-paced environment while remaining organized and accurate.
- Ability to communicate with the public in a respectful manner, even under pressure.
- Ability to take initiative and make mature individual and team-based decisions.
- Ability to follow established policies and procedures and demonstrate good judgment in exceptional situations.
- Ability to communicate policies, procedures and guidelines and follow through with implementation, and monitoring results.
- Ability to represent the values of VMCLI by working in a culturally diverse environment and community in a way that fosters understanding and compassion.
Specific Work Requirements
- May need to lift 30 pounds
- Weekend and holidays and schedule flexibility
- Professional attire